Structural Engineer-in-Training – Full Time Position – Quantum Engineering Ltd, Chilliwack, BC
Date: February 10, 2023
Quantum Engineering Ltd. is an established structural engineering consulting firm located in Chilliwack, BC. We are experienced in providing effective structural solutions within several industry sectors, including commercial, industrial, institutional, residential, agricultural, and light gauge steel construction. We are committed to excellence and integrity in our work and enjoy the challenge of unusual and interesting projects. We strive to exceed our clients’ expectations through timely delivery, efficient communications, and practical designs.
As a part of our team, you will work on projects from their earliest conceptual stages through to the end of construction You will encounter a wide variety of work that is a direct advantage of working in a smaller firm. We will provide you with a variety of resources that you need to excel at your position and grow your career, from regular feedback, mentoring, and exposure to a broad variety of structural projects. We expect that you will enter this position with the anticipation of gaining your P.Eng. designation a few years down the road.
You will have completed or are nearing completion towards a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering and have taken a variety of structural electives. You will be able to work effectively on your own under the supervision of an engineer and be able to collaborate with team members as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. You must be concise, professional, and accurate in your communications in order to ensure co-workers and clients’ needs are met.
- Working knowledge of the BC Building Code, Part 4 in particular.
- Previous experience (i.e., in a summer work position) in a design office is preferred.
- Intuitive feel for how structures behave.
- Resourcefulness: if you can’t solve a problem on your own, you must know where to look for guidance.
- An understanding of how buildings are put together – perhaps you have had some experience in the construction industry.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Working knowledge of structural software, such as SAP2000 is an asset.
- Good Microsoft Excel capabilities, preferably with some experience in VBA.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and willingness to use your own vehicle for field reviews.
This Position Involves:
- Designing elements of buildings and other structures in Concrete, Timber, Steel, and Cold-Form Steel, according to design principles and the BC Building Code, under the guidance and supervision of an engineer. As you become more proficient in this role, you will be entrusted with an increasing responsibility in the design process.
- Preparing design sketches and drawings in conjunction with a draftsperson. Assisting in the preparation of engineering drawings.
- Communicating with clients, including contractors, construction managers, and architects.
- Working with engineering staff, including engineers and draftspersons.
- Reviewing shop drawings.
- Performing site inspections under the guidance of an engineer.
We have a downtown Chilliwack office location, with a short, easy commute from anywhere in the Upper Fraser Valley. We are surrounded by a variety of shops and restaurants with a few minutes’ walking distance.
Remuneration is negotiable and is commensurate with experience.
Qualified applicants are invited to email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.